Procrastination — It’s when you say “I’ll do it tomorrow” to the things we need to do today.
Today we’ll look at Procrastination and talk about:
- Why do we Procrastinate
- Benefits of Procrastination
- Detriments of Procrastination
- How to avoid Procrastination
- Action items for the week
Why do we procrastinate:
- 20% of people classify themselves as chronic procrastinators
- Procrastinators aren’t born, it’s a learned behavior.
3 types of Procrastinators:
- Arousal types, or thrill-seekers, who wait to the last minute for the euphoric rush.
- Avoiders, who may be avoiding fear of failure or even fear of success, but in either case are very concerned with what others think of them; they would rather have others think they lack effort than ability.
- Decisional procrastinators, who cannot make a decision. Not making a decision absolves procrastinators of responsibility for the outcome of events.
Today’s Podcast Exercise
10 Successful Ways to avoid Procrastinating:
- Break your work into little steps.
- Change your environment.
- Create a detailed timeline with specific deadlines.
- Tell others about your goals. This serves the same function as #6, on a larger scale. Tell all your friends, colleagues, acquaintances and family about your projects. Now whenever you see them, they are bound to ask you about your status on those projects.
- Get a grip and just do it. At the end, it boils down to taking action.
- Eliminate your procrastination pit-stops. If you are procrastinating a little too much, maybe that’s because you make it easy to procrastinate. Disable the automatic notification option in your email client. Get rid of the distractions around you.
- Hang out with people who inspire you to take action. I’m pretty sure if you spend just 10 minutes talking to Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, you’ll be more inspired to act than if you spent the 10 minutes doing nothing.
- Seek out someone who has already achieved the outcome. Seeing living proof that your goals are very well achievable if you take action is one of the best triggers for action.
- Re-clarify your goals. If you have been procrastinating for an extended period of time, it might reflect a misalignment between what you want and what you are currently doing.
- Stop over-complicating things. Are you waiting for a perfect time to do this? Ditch that thought because there’s never a perfect time.
Let’s hear from You
Are there things that you would like to hear from us in the future or is there anything that you would like to add to the benefit of future Podcasts.
- Fiverr – A host of jobs and tasks performed by people around the world starting at $5 per service.
Yes Success Network would like your input. We are ramping up our podcasts and are seeking to broadcast a Podcast each week. Please drop us a line if you’d like to be on one of our upcoming Podcasts